Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Simply Put
Oxygen + Pressure = Healing
That simple formula is the key to understanding how Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy works. Our clients breathe 100% medical grade oxygen under increased pressure in our state-of-the-art hard chambers. This results in oxygen dissolving into your plasma for up to a 1500% increase in blood concentration, creating "hyper-oxygenated" blood plasma. Because of the hyperoxygenation, oxygen then diffuses into all tissue of the body including bone and the brain. That restores circulation promoting recovery, healing and rejuvenation.
Body tissue may become oxygen deprived or compromised for several reasons:
- Swelling or edema for any reason will put physical pressure on blood vessels and restricts blood flow. This could occur with diabetic wounds, crush injuries, infection, peripheral arterial disease, traumatic brain injury and cosmetic surgery
- Damaged blood vessels will result from radiation therapy for cancer treatment in 12 to 15 percent of patients. This most commonly results in osteoradionecrosis of the jaw, radiation cystitis, proctitis and damage to skin from radiation for breast cancer. Damaged blood vessels also result from crush injuries and surgical procedures.
- Blocked arteries will cause immediate loss of blood supply (oxygen) to tissue. This occurs most commonly in the legs (peripheral arterial disease or blood clot) or the brain (stroke).
The mere presence of pressure has an effect on healing. It causes gene switching in over 6,000 genes, switching on good genes and switching off bad genes.
A LIttle More Technical
HBOT is a safe and non-invasive therapy that has the following effects on the body:
- Immediately oxygenates tissue that is oxygen deprived. Important in treating gangrene, acute arterial insufficiency, failing grafts, crush injuries and digit or limb reattachment.
- Acts as a signal inducer of DNA for over 6000 genes, turning on good genes and turning off bad genes. This is a newly discovered effect that pressurization has during hyperbaric oxygen therapy.
- Mobilizes and stimulates the body's own production of stem cells by 800%.
- A very potent anti-inflammatory so greatly reduces swelling and edema. This is beneficial in treating diabetic wounds, crush injuries, compartment syndrome and traumatic brain injury.
- Reduces pain by reducing inflammation.
- Stimulates the immune system by stimulating neutrophils to destroy anerobic and aerobic organisms such as staph aureus infection via the neutrophil oxidative killing mechanism
- Promotes collagen, bone and cartilage repair and regeneration. Enhances osteogenesis by stimulating osteoclastic and osteoblastic activity which is especially important in treating osteoradionecrosis and osteomyilitis.
- A synergistic effect of oxygen with aminoglycoside and cephalosporin antibiotics.
- Stimulates the mitochondria (the brain) of the cell to enhance energy production (ATP).
- Increase the production of superoxide dismutase which is one of the body's antioxidants and free radical scavengers.
- Stimulates capillary angiogenesis in soft tissue and bone. This is especially important in treating diabetic wounds and radiation injury such as osteoradionecrosis, proctitis and radiation cystitis.
- Improve quality of life especially when treating wounds by preventing amputations and radiation injury.
ASK THE MEDICAL STAFF
Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy can be used as a supportive or complementary service for your patients.
The information provided here serves to help you identify patients that would benefit from the use of oxygen therapy and our services.
As a valued referring physician, we want to assure you that we see ourselves as a supportive and complementary service that aims to help you heal your patients faster. We will always ensure that you are actively involved in their continuing care with weekly progress reports.